Recently I did a post on this Japanese Hemlock Tree (Tsuga diversifolia). Although, what I failed to learn was that the wire on this tree has been on for over 2 years! It has more than done its job on the foliage pads, and it must be removed because it will soon start to damage the bark as it starts to grow around the wire. I am almost half way done removing it, and I have put in a solid 5 hours of work. I can only image how long it took to apply!
On a side note, it is fascinating to me how vastly different some trees are in respect to their individual growth habits. The wire has been on this tree for over 2 years, and the branches are only starting to swell up around it. I recently wired some of my own Ficus Benjamina trees at home, and after only 2 weeks the branches had started to swell.